Re: Multi-key players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on November 04, 2002 at 08:17:47:

In Reply to: Multi-key players posted by Mark on November 02, 2002 at 21:47:51:

I really don't think about it anymore - I find that thinking about the instrument keeps you from focusing on the music you are making. You need to have a concept when you pick up any horn that allows you this freedom. The "color" concept posted here is a very good example. When I was in the "green room" getting ready for my Master's recital I got to thinking about the order of the program (let's see, 1st piece:F tuba baritone cleff transposition; 2nd piece: CC tuba treble cleff; 3rd piece: euphonium in tenor cleff transposition; 4th piece: F tuba in treble cleff; 5th piece, CC tuba in bass cleff; 6th piece: F tuba in bass cleff; 7th piece: F tuba in E flat transposition; encore: F tuba in bass cleff).

Yeah... it freaked me for a minute, then I just said "what the hell - let's go do it!" and it went fine. I make it a point to do everything on every horn so that there are no surprises - then it's just a matter of being sure you know what horn you have in your hand at that moment.

There is a legend about Robert Nagel, the great trumpet player from the New York Brass Quintet, showing up for a performance of the Brandenberg, openning his case and saying "Oh.. I forgot my piccolo - oh well..." grabbed his Bb and just went out and played it.

Preparation rules out error - doing the worst possible things to yourself as far as recital scheduling, switching horns frequently, and what horn you do what on helps you to prepare to do everything on anything.

Just my experiences.

Roger

Follow Ups: