Re: Besson 983 Eb vs. Yamaha YFB-822 F??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Billy M. on November 06, 2002 at 01:48:59:

In Reply to: Besson 983 Eb vs. Yamaha YFB-822 F?? posted by Matt on November 06, 2002 at 00:15:35:

That's a tough question. Trying to compare apples to oranges (some peeps like one and despise the other, like both but prefer one, like both and don't care which is chosen, and some won't like either horns.

I know there are advocates of both horns who'll swear by them. I've heard from a few different tubists (I know hearsay, but with truth behind them) that the Yammie is a great horn with low register but the sound is awfully dry. The Besson, from what I've heard from some tubists plays great as well but is a little stuffy (my opinion differs on it... I tried one out and fell in love with it's easy playability and gorgeous sound. I did find it kind of heavy though, but that's not new with Besson horns).

My personal opinion is to go for the Besson. The sound just sticks out in my mind as very unique and just sings in every register.

Make sure that whatever decision you make, you try out several of that horn so that you find the one horn that works perfectly for you.

Follow Ups: