Re: Besson 983 Eb vs. Yamaha YFB-822 F??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on November 06, 2002 at 03:29:53:

In Reply to: Besson 983 Eb vs. Yamaha YFB-822 F?? posted by Matt on November 06, 2002 at 00:15:35:

I've played both horns, and I'll agree that it's an apples/oranges scenario. Yes, the very lowest notes are slightly stuffy on the Besson, but that's also rather similar to getting used to playing the low register on most F tubas. Believe me, Pat Sheridan has no trouble getting big low notes out of his 983. I own the 983 mostly for its great design and ergonomics (for me, anyway), and because I'm somewhat addicted to the Besson sound. On the other hand, the 822 is an F tuba with a big low register. It has a somewhat drier, more matter-of-fact tone quality to my poor, tin ears. There's little question as to whether you could cover a lot of range with either horn. The F tuba will probably give you just a tad more security in the stratosphere, and you'll reach the low fundamental sooner as well (F as opposed to Eb). However, the Besson has the more singing tone quality for my money. Try them both before you buy.

Also, if you'll be using this horn primarily as a bass tuba, I believe you owe it to yourself to try some slightly smaller F tubas (Alex, Gronitz, Rudy Meinl, M-W, etc.). Russ Dickman has a M-W 45SLP (or is it just LP?) up for sale at a very reasonable price. I haven't tried my 983 in a quintet yet, but my guess is that would work just fine in that application. Good luck.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: