Re: Besson 983 Eb vs. Yamaha YFB-822 F??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on November 06, 2002 at 17:45:06:

In Reply to: Besson 983 Eb vs. Yamaha YFB-822 F?? posted by Matt on November 06, 2002 at 00:15:35:

I used to be completely convinced of the 983 and its superiority until I tried an 822 this past Spring that was absolutely amazing. I've played my 983 in a quintet setting quite a bit (though not as of late...sigh) and it did wonderfully. Now, it's capability to be huge? I'm not sure - I'm not a "big" sounding player, but it really does sing wonderfully and seems buttery to my ears. The 822, in my experience, has tended to have a sound that projected too much for a quintet to my ears, and never played as easily as the Besson, but as I said, an 822 that I tried this past Spring changed my mind. The valve set was wonderful (contrary to some of the 822s and every M-W I tried ) and it was so warm and easy to play, and even the low C came out clear - now try that on a usual F horn!

I would lean going to the Besson, for its versitality and ease of playing, but if you can find a Yamaha that plays as easily and sounds as warm - go for it!

But of course, every individual horn can very so much, so you'll end up going with what works best with you regardless of what any of us recommend.

Good luck!

-David Menard

Follow Ups: