Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What about these piston tubas...????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty w/ question on November 06, 2002 at 19:24:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: What about these piston tubas...???? posted by weird on November 06, 2002 at 18:30:21:

I have a theory...
Do you think that bell height is in any way related to a tuba's projection, hence the 2145 cutting more than a 52j?
The best projecting tuba I have ever played, hands down, was a Mirafone 190 Kaisertuba, which is about the tallest tuba made. My current 1290 while shorter and less projecting than the 190 has better projection characterictics than, say, a PT4P I recently tried. Whether you love or hate the 186, you have to admit that they project very well. I used to have a bohm and meinl piston CC (factory CC, not as good a horn as the BBb conversions) that had about as fat a sound as the 1290 but did not project quite as well. It also was about 6 to 8 inches shorter. My old teacher's 3/4 rudy's were not big horns but had a tall bell and could slice through an orchestra without dificulty.

Without going into 6/4 territory, am I on to something about a relation of bell height vs projection or am I just off base?

Follow Ups: