Re: Lip Care

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 07, 2002 at 11:48:22:

In Reply to: Lip Care posted by Keith C. on November 07, 2002 at 10:15:19:

Three things have worked for me for various situations:

1. DCT - a Blistex product in a little pink tub, a la "Carmex"

2. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula - from the E. T. Browne Drug Company

3. Vitamin E

I used DCT for years and had no problems; it works well as a preventative treatment. But when I had to play outdoor gigs in New York and New England in the dead of winter, DCT just did not cut it. So I would smear Vitamin E gel all over my chapped mouth before I would go to bed (very attractive - looks like you tried to eat pork chops without the aid of your hands) and all would be better in the morning. As a preventative (say, prior to a parade in single-didget temperatures) I would put it on my face rather liberally and carry one of the liquid-filled capsules in my coat pocket in case I needed more. The key to using Vitamin E is that it is really messy, but WILL (someday) rub into you skin if you are patient. It is a genuine pain in the *ss, but it works quite well.

Four years ago my wife introduced me to the Palmer's product. It comes in a stick so large that it looks like a miniature deodorant stick! It will last you for many years. Recently, my pharmacist was able to order Palmer's in a "normal sized" stick, which is less goofy looking to use on a gig and is cheaper.

Over the years, I have moved to a Southern climate and do fewer outdoor gigs in the cold. Palmer's seems to do it for me now. But DCT is still a winner. Vitamin E works great, but is such a hassle if you don't need something that severe.

Good luck!

Wade

Follow Ups: