Re: tuba playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on November 11, 2002 at 02:00:33:

In Reply to: tuba playing posted by jkh on November 11, 2002 at 00:08:40:

What does your son want to do? Orchestral playing, teaching, band director, military bandsman? Whatever he does, make sure he has something to fall back on. I hate to be the bearer of this news, but his chance of landing an orchestral job that pays a living wage is tatamount to a high school football player of similar ability making the NFL. If he absolutley has to play the tuba, make sure he is versed in EVERY style that the tuba has a role in, be it band literature, orchestral, solo, or Dixie. I would strongly suggest that he picks up a double on string bass as soon as possible. If he really wants a taste, go to the biggest, baddest, school with the best teacher available. As I don't care if I am biased, Dave Zerkel at Georgia or Mike Dunn at Alabama are the top teachers available. I say this because they both have strong solo, band(both were in premier Military bands) and orchestral experience(both have played and recorded with various orchestras). If I had to do it over again, I would hunt down either of these two or Scott Mendocker at Rutgers, who has crossed all musical lines as a freelance artist in New York and plays his ass off. If your son doesn't want to give up everything for the next 5-8 years to become a pro player, have him find a great vocation to support his avocation. Joe Robinson,Principal Oboe with the New York Philharmonic, has his degrees in something like International Relations from Emory University in Atlanta. Enough said. Good Luck.

Follow Ups: