Re: tuba playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubadad on November 11, 2002 at 11:01:51:

In Reply to: tuba playing posted by jkh on November 11, 2002 at 00:08:40:

Good questions, no simple answers...you may wish that you had started on the following suggestions a year or two earlier.

First, arrange for your son to have a lesson with as many college profs as possible. This is the best way to evaluate the different profs and programs, and to find out where your kid can "fit in and get in." We started on this the summer before my son's 10th grade year, and he is currently a sophomore at one of the big name schools. Meeting profs "early and often" was crucial to the process.

Second, consider the summer "camps" like the Oklahoma Tuba workshop or the Rafael Mendez Brass Institute - the experience is fantastic, and the exposure to top teachers is invaluable. Also, consider the longer summer programs like Interlochen and Tanglewood (BUTI) - these are expensive options, but again they are fantastic learning opportunities that, if attended, will say much about your son's ability and commitment to prospective tuba profs. My son attended BUTI and I always felt that it conferred instant "credibility" on him when he was looking at tuba programs.

Scholarships are definitely available; my son attends his college tuition free. But this varies quite a bit from school to school, so ask questions.

Follow Ups: