Need some info on Perantucci and Cerveny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by One of many Scotts on November 15, 2002 at 13:36:53:

Hi.

I discovered yesterday that someone local is selling his Perantucci PT3. I'm interested in this horn for several reasons:

1) It has five valves. Lately, I've been playing a lot of pieces that run at the bottom end, and I think I'd do a bit better with five valves.

2) It's a piston horn. I damaged the ulnar nerve in my right hand (about 30 years ago, now that I think of it), and having the alternate fingerings for some notes would be nice.

3) He's local, so I get to ACTUALLY TRY THE HORN FIRST. Oh, yeah....

The horn was dropped down stairs once, but this guy is a former brass tech, and it is currently in great shape. (He's the second owner. First owner's the one what dropped it.) He's asking $4000, which seems reasonable.

I can afford this if I sell my current horn, a Cerveny ACB603 "Piggy." I like the Piggy, but I can't keep two horns.

So I'm asking you guys two questions:

a) What do you think of the PT3 deal? Sound reasonable? Any special things to consider?

b) I'm guessing my Piggy could fetch $2500 to $3000 (minor dents, good shape, maintained). Does that seem like a fair price for such a horn?

Thanks.

Scott

Follow Ups: