Re: Lips of wood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on November 17, 2002 at 12:43:07:

In Reply to: Lips of wood posted by Sven Bring on November 17, 2002 at 10:26:37:

I just went thru this - or really, am still trying to get back. I am sixty and just started back this spring after not playing since about 1967. 1st - do not rush it. Fifteen minutes at a time is ENOUGH until your lip muscles start to come back. If you don't want to take my word for it, Matt Walters at Dillon's will tell you the same thing.
Otherwise your frustration level will grow much faster than your fun from playing. I was sick and away from playing for three weeks recently. I tried to get right back to it with an hour's hard workout - and my lip didn't recover till I had spent two days of easy playing to get the muscles comfortable again.

Get a good instructional series - I use Rubank. Start with book one, page one, lesson one. GO SLOW. The first couple of weeks are going to be very discouraging - but your brain and your lip WILL get it together. Don't blow hard, your lungs will probably handle it, but your lip will not take kindly to it.

After a few weeks you will be amazed. Then go ahead and play with a band. You will be amazed how much better it will sound than when you practice alone. Most community bands are made up of many folks who have been there, and know exactly what you are going thru. Believe me, unless they are much different than the bands I am familiar with, they won't laugh, they will be happy to have you.

In about 3 months things will probably start to get more comfortable. Just don't expect to play perfectly. I wish I could play like I did when I was in college, but the tone has come back, and maybe a year or so and I can recover most of the ability I had.

Otherwise, get ready for some fun. I had forgotten how just much fun it is.

Follow Ups: