Re: Re: Re: Re: Uses for Eb/F tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on November 18, 2002 at 11:56:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Uses for Eb/F tubas posted by Dan Schultz on November 18, 2002 at 11:04:15:

Hi Dan,

Unlike instruments like the clarinet or oboe, the tuba has not been standardized. Rather, it is a category of instruments coming in different pitches and proportions. That is why I look upon most tubas as compromises. The 4/4 CC tuba I play is certainly a compromise. It doesn't have the depth of sound like the old Conn BBb sousaphones or 2xJs that I used to play. It also does not sing in the high register like the old battered small Eb tuba I have. [The small Eb plays as low as my CC, but it is quite thin and rattling way down low

I was interested in gathering players' thoughts on Eb and/or F tubas, as I was thinking about being able to play higher. Although I hear professionals play quite high on contrabass tubas, I never like their sound as much as when I hear the same passages played on bass tubas. On the other hand, I admire the low range of the big BBb/CC instruments.

I may wind up just playing a 4/4 size CC tuba, as it seems like a versatile compormise instrument -- in any musical situation the limitations are mine, not the instrument's. Or, I might acquire other instruments, too. I wouldn't mind having a huge BBb horn, and a good smaller Eb or F horn.

Allen "life is a compromise" Walker

Follow Ups: