Holton 345 6/4 census-secound time

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on November 19, 2002 at 01:18:45:

I am quite serious about tracking these instruments down and have had a number of owners contact me with the info about there tubas. I have started a data base to keep the interesting details about these great instruments. If you have not yet contacted me, please do. I will post this message again . Thanks!

I'm sure a number of folks on the list have read the post by Tony E, and many have also visited the web page that I put together showing the extensive work that I and my staff performed on his horn a few weeks ago. Over the last several months of dealing with the large Holton, in addition to the many York tubas I have performed repairs or restorations on, my interest in the history and present state of the existing large Holton and Yorks has brought me to where I would like to respectfully ask the readers of this post to help me locate the whereabouts, condition and history of these tubas. My primary interest at this time is focused on the Holton 345s, both BBbs and CCs.

Conversations Tony E and I have had have left us both very curious as to how many of these instruments truly exist. The Holton company, which manufactured these tubas from the 50's into the mid-70's, seems to have few details regarding the number of instruments they produced. I presume the majority of these instruments still exist, albeit in varying states of disrepair. Because of the time period of manufacture I would presume most of them are not in the hands of their original owners and sadly, any details that could be gleaned from the original acquisition are lost.

I guess what I am asking is that I would appreciate it if any and all who are in posession of or know the whereabouts of any Holton 345s, BBb or CC, cut or in original state, would please email me and share the information they have on their horn, or pass my request for information along to anyone else who might have knowledge of this subject. This would also include any 345 models that have been destroyed or rendered for parts. The following are the basic details that I would like to compile:
1) the serial number
2) the finish - silver plate (satin or bright) or lacquer finish brass
3) BBb or CC, cut or uncut
4) approximate condition and description of any known repairs or alterations
5) name of the owner (past and present)
6) any additional information you would like to share

Please understand that I have total respect for the privacy of those who would be willing to share this information with me. I want to assure everyone that this information will not be misused and will *most definitely* not be handed out to any "horn hounds". This information is strictly for my own curiosity. I want to compile a census of how many of these giants actually exist and obtain more details about their technical aspects. This census would be shared with other parties interested in this type of information.

If you have any questions or reservations feel free to email me.
Respectfully,
Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
Seattle, WA

Follow Ups: