Re: Expensive Mouthpieces vs. Old Standbys

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ol' Standby on November 19, 2002 at 03:31:45:

In Reply to: Expensive Mouthpieces vs. Old Standbys posted by Joe Baker on November 18, 2002 at 17:50:06:

Joe,

Having gone through this scenario, personally, a few times, I would have to say that it's whatever works. For me, the ol' standbys are a Holton Collegiate and a Mirafone C4. I found the Holton in a bandroom in cetral Wisconsin, and traded the band director a Conn Helleberg 7B and a Conn 2 for it. I found the C4 when I was in high school,in northern Minnesota, at the local community college and gave the music director my Yamaha 24AW for it.

My first switch was to a Canadian Brass "Arnold Jacobs" mouthpiece. I think I used it for about a week and a half. To a poor college student in 1993, $125 was a TON of cash to pay for a paperweight.

My second switch was to a pair of Dillon mouthpieces(1997). An M1C and an F2B. Used them for about a year. Then back to the Holton and Mirafone.

My third(and final...for now) switch was to a pair of Laskey mouthpieces(2000). A 30H E shank, and a 30G E shank. Used them for about a year as well. Then back to the ol' standbys.

I haven't got a clue why that seems to be the combo for me, but they work. They're "homebase" for me.

Unfortunately, I am easily persuaded to try the "latest thing". A friend of mine introduced me to the mouthpiece game in college. He was heavily in the throws of it himself at the time, and I jumped right in with him. Now he uses a Homemade mouthpiece made out of aluminum foil, six-penny nails (for extra breadth in the low register), and a discarded toilet paper tube. {DG}

more fodder for the list..

cordially,
Micky Wrobleski

Follow Ups: