Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Expensive Mouthpieces vs. Old Standbys

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on November 19, 2002 at 22:58:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Expensive Mouthpieces vs. Old Standbys posted by Rick Denney on November 19, 2002 at 17:42:03:

"...because many still buy on the strength of the brand."

I hear trumpet players say such things as, "That's a picture of a Monette Raja. It's AWESOME, an incredible instrument, and it costs ten thousand dollars." One of the biggest names in brasswinds can demand such outrageous prices because, hey, the market will support them.

For me, a Monette mouthpiece isn't 3 to 5 times better than the mouthpieces I've got. But, that's FOR ME, and certainly not true for everyone else.

Even so, I'm still curious. I wouldn't mind living with one for a few weeks or more, but I'd rather not drop that much cash on something that I might find to be useless. That keeps me at a distance, and serves to perpetuate the mystique that the Monette name enjoys.

Here's a thought -- if a mpc maker can sell 100 for $300 each, with a waiting list, and finds ways to manufacture many more for cheaper, do you think he'll lower the price? I'm not sure if any business man would do something like that.

Follow Ups: