Re: DW 3 comments please!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on November 20, 2002 at 03:54:11:

In Reply to: DW 3 comments please! posted by student on November 20, 2002 at 00:34:14:

I agree with Chuck. The DW3L comes with Besson Sovereigns, as people have said. Most people choose the size 3 for the EEb though some like Steve Sykes choose the DW 2. The DW 3 on my 1976 Imperial has a beautiful tone with well-sounding deep low notes and bright high ones--quite an even register. The dynamic range is not as much as it is on the DW2, which has a deeper perhaps cleaner sound in the low register.I like to play the same instrument on the DW1 because it is so easy to get a wide dynamic range, though the intonation is not as easily consistent and the notes are less centered.
I just ordered the DW3XL because the tone is so beautiful on the DW3 but I also love the broader dynamic range and projection of the dW2 And DW1. The DW3XL will be harder to play with but it will do more. I think slurs are a little harder on the DW3 because of the larger backbore. Yet runs are lighter and easier and cleaner on the DW3.
The size 3 seems to be the most appropriate for the response from the bell back to the lips. The registers seem more even to me.
Be sure, as Chuck said, you get the right size shank. I have been using the small shank but can only order the DW3XL in large so I will either have it turned down or finally change my receiver.
BEst regards,
Bill

Follow Ups: