Re: St.Petersburg-again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on November 20, 2002 at 18:29:44:

In Reply to: St.Petersburg-again posted by Collin on November 20, 2002 at 17:51:08:

I had a chance to play some on a St Petes one day at a gig. The horn was a BBb 4 valve silver horn with a seemingly large bore. I have a Miraphone 191 with a similar bore. The 'Pete was not very free blowing, or at least not as free blowing as my 191. The notes below the low F were not very easy to produce cleanly. The horn did not have the large, warm tone that my 191 has. The intonation of the octaves was also spotty, but not as bad as a Cerveny C horn I tried about a year ago.
Since every horn is different, even within the same model by a single manufacturer, I would recommend finding a horn and trying it out. Call some of the local universities and see if any of them have some in stock and get their impressions. Ultimately it comes down to your preferences, so take my somewhat negative comments with a grain of salt. The owner of the 'Pete I tried is very satisfied with his purchase, no regrets at all. I hope this is of some help for you.

Follow Ups: