Re: Re: New King 2341 review?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on November 21, 2002 at 13:22:34:

In Reply to: Re: New King 2341 review? posted by Tony E on November 20, 2002 at 14:25:18:

I have to agree that the Miraphone 1291 is one of the best piston valve BBb tubas I have tried. On the other hand it costs more than $1000 more than the King 2341 and I would be hard pressed to justify the difference.

I have had my King since early this year and have been very happy with it. I like it much better than the old 2 piece model that I used to own, and better than any of the older versions that I have tried. I find the older versions stuffier in the low end and awkward to hold and play because they are so tall and the leadpipe is too low. I picked mine from among 6 at Dillon music and although mine clearly played the best for me, the differences between it and the others were minor. There will be sample variations between the different instances of the same model tuba from any manufacturer, but the Kings have a reputation for having more variation.

The VMI 3301 is now about the same price as the King and others have preferred it, but I didn't find it to have as lively a sound or to be as responsive. I think that the smaller bore on the King is better for beginners too. If your budget is really tight, the Jupiter 582, VMI 2103, or Cerveny 686 would be less expensive and reasonable choices, but I think that the King plays and sounds better than any of these and is worth the extra $500-$700. I think that the King 2341 gives you the most for your money of any BBb tuba available today.

Follow Ups: