Besson EEb Prototype

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Santos on November 24, 2002 at 08:28:17:

I recently acquired an usually configured tuba from an antique shop in London that stands 37 inches tall and has a 17 inch bell with top action valves. It is lacquered, and after a little researching on the internet, found out it was made in 1908. What's wierd about this tuba is that the valve tubing and slides on the front of the horn look like they should be on the rear, and vice versa. It is currently unplayable because the 3rd valve is missing, but all in all looks to be a great fixer-upper. One other cool thing about it is that the bell engraving is on the side of the bell and not on the front like on most tubas, and on it says Besson Prototype along with where it was manufactured in England.

I have no clue where to look for a third valve for this thing, because judging that it is a prototype there probably wasn't a whole lot of them made. A lot of you would probably recommend I just call the Besson factory; that is on my list of steps to take. But does anyone have any other suggestions? I am trying to avoid having to make a new valve and will leave this as a last resort. If you would like a photo of this prototype horn please email me privately and I'll send out a picture to you.

Thanks!

Follow Ups: