Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alexander Stencil German Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 27, 2002 at 02:14:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alexander Stencil German Tubas posted by Jim Andrada on November 27, 2002 at 00:05:07:

Jim,

From what I have been led to believe by the Alexander company, regular tuba production was halted for a number of years, save for special orders due to economic concerns. The company focused on their various french horn models for a while. What exact period of time we are talking about here is unknown to me. I just know that it was a number of years. I also do not know whether or not this involved ALL tubas or just the CC 163. (I think that it was that all tubas became special order items.)

Within the last few years Gebr. Alexander has gone back into tuba production after some research and design changes to improve intonation issues. The first time that I became aware of this was when Dillon Music announced that they were going to carry the instruments. Now Tony Clements carries them as well. Since he is in the Bay Area, that might account for the number of new Alexander tubas that you have been seeing.

I am REALLY interested in playing a few of them! (Anyone down south have a new one that I could drive out and toot on for a few hours? You could play on my 1958 CC 163 . . . anyone, anyone?)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wade

Follow Ups: