Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the lowest non-pedal you can hit?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jude on November 29, 2002 at 14:28:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: What's the lowest non-pedal you can hit? posted by dp on November 28, 2002 at 19:54:06:

I can certainly appreciate that discretion is the better part of valor were ranges are concerned. One thing that I forgot to mention is that when the ultra-low parts are written, it is usually doubling a note in a more "sane" register. In those cases, I wholeheartedly agree that if none of the players can execute the extreme range well, it is best to leave it un-played.

As far as "hot-dogs" who play things down an octave because they think it's fun and "sound cool", I agree that people should not take such broad liberties with the music. The conductors that I know of who ask for occasional octave displacements would get very upset if people started doing it all the time, and rightly so. I have told several people in bands that I have played in that just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should, especially without permission, and never when it is in poor taste. A little bit goes a long way and less is definitely more!

So, once again, I find myself agreeing with someone who I thought I disagreed with. Thanks for the polite reply.

Jude

Follow Ups: