Re: Re: Re: On the cheap

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on November 02, 2003 at 19:20:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: On the cheap posted by C(G) on November 02, 2003 at 12:26:52:

Hm. I think I understood Chuck, I personally have a wonderful career which has shown me the world and is solely accomplishment-based, using skills I have honed over decades. My personal belief is that most amateur players who practice, especially the adult ones get far more enjoyment out of their playing than many of their contemporaries who play (more or less) solely for their living. I have at least a half dozen close friends who are currently in the midst of not just mid-life but identity crises because their professional careers as players are either financially rocky or no longer musically rewarding.
My implied admonishment was certainly not directed the majority of readers/players like yourself or even the majority of students, nor whatever professionals might actually be reading my blather. Rather, it was directed at those who DO consider 12-20 hours a week on the marching field an apt complement to their hopefully-possible or dreamed-of future as a pro player (assuming their heart-felt goal is to play as a pro), or to those who DO consider rehearsing in 12 ensembles a week a great way to hone their technical skills....again, in some sort of weak way as a way to a career playing.
Perhaps I assume too much of the masses who follow audition results. I need to remind myself of similarities in other areas of interest, maybe like baseball. A lot of different people like baseball, there are Yankees fans and yes, even Marlins fans. But the term "fan" can be applied (it seems) equally to the person who saw three games on the tv last year as it can to the Yankees fan who has season tickets, knows what pitchers are in the Yankees farm system, and lost her first husband to divorce when the Yanks beat the Braves (they HAVE beaten the Braves haven't they?)
In my life, there are so many other things that frankly keep me from playing more. My girl commits weekends to babysitting our granddaughter, and possible practice time slots vanish. My work takes me to other countries or other states for extended periods of time, and I cannot continue in the ensembles that I may have enjoyed playing in since the early 80's. But heck, the fact is that if I had a great chainsaw (or 5 -smile-) I'd still have a real tough time finding the 12 hours you referenced to use it in a month or three, because I have a pretty full life with a LOT of things, all important to me, but certainly not equally important.
For those who would consider becoming a world class tubist, in their heart of hearts, the other attractive joys of life can challenge the focus. Let's just not mistake undue attention for who played behind which curtain and used what horn and advanced where as a basis for joy as a musician, whether busy adult amateur, aspiring phenom student, or awesome contra-line member.

Follow Ups: