Re: Re: Re: Re: silver bugle horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on November 03, 2003 at 09:24:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: silver bugle horn posted by Wade on November 02, 2003 at 23:48:43:

Glad to see someone else here likes K-90's as much as I do.

I've got one that I bought four years ago from another Tubenetter, a BYU professor, who was selling off a collection of horns (the line for the King said, "King K-90 2v nonchromatic contrabass bugle. Make an offer.").

The pictures I received were shocking at first -- the finish had been allowed to tarnish to a really interesting tortoiseshell color. But, upon close examination, I realized that all the pipes were smooth, and all the original braces were there. I bought it for $900 shipped.

Its history, as best as I've been able to learn, goes something like this: The professor bought it off a student, who found it at a garage sale. Then, I was telling Gary Brattin (BD 83-86) about my find when he says, "You know what -- I think that's my horn! Being section leader in '86, I picked out the best one, and that's the one that got stolen from our gym in Ogden. I had to use an SCV contra that night, and borrowed a Blue Knights horn the rest of the season."

Interesting... I emailed Dave Gibbs (BD's director) about the horn, giving its serial number and asking if they wanted it back, but I didn't get a response. I've kept it since then, satisfied that it's in a good home. And, nope, it's not for sale.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p94a4d28b5869bf52c27d68326cd10316/faa83b8d.jpg[/img]

Follow Ups: