Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on November 04, 2003 at 22:32:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers posted by js on November 04, 2003 at 15:50:07:

Joe,

You wrote..."Only one showed up with enough of the primary tool - breath control - to demonstrate his own (whatever...) "flavor" of tuba playing clearly and accurately"

That's nothing short of WILD speculation. Did you see that list of semi-finalists? If you think know that Chris Olka, for example, showed up with anything short of stunning breath control or musicianship, you've lost your flipping mind. Maybe he had an off day...or maybe he nailed it but his styling or phrasing wasn't quite what they were looking for. We have absolutely no idea. I've heard Chris Olka play live, including with Gene Pokorny. Incredible player. Let me humbly suggest that you've over reached when you presume to know what any of these top players did or didn't do with their breath control at the audition. Unbelievable.

On your exercise...yeah, that's a great one. Our conductor at British Brass Brand preaches the virtues of a similar exercise.

But as to the rest...as Clint Eastwood so aptly said: "A man's got to know his limitations". Mine stop somewhere short of presuming to know, on a widely read public forum, what these top players did wrong at an audition I didn't hear. We just don't know.

Tony "wondering what Joe's thinking" E

Follow Ups: