Re: de-lacquering

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on November 06, 2003 at 07:40:58:

In Reply to: de-lacquering posted by Jordan Jay on November 05, 2003 at 20:07:27:

Jordan,
If you really enjoy the instrument as-is, I'd suggest leaving it that way. Unlacquered instruments may look cool to some, but after having played one or two, the green hands, or constant polishing, or both got quite old after a while. It's sort-of like shaving - really cool the first few times I did that as a teenager, but quickly became a chore instead.
I must partially disagree with Wade, for I believe that the value of your instrument will be better maintained with a good lacquer finish. The simple fact of the matter is that lacquer protects the brass, and without it the instrument tends to corrode and disintegrate faster. If you had an older, top-of-the-line orchestra instrument that had really ratty-looking lacquer, maybe it would be worth a little more if de-lacquered and bright-dipped. I'd suggest that your instrument will be better off if you have it thoroughly cleaned inside to ward off red rot, and polish the outside with Meguiar's or Mother's Wax (Meguiar's can be found at Wal-Mart, Mother's at motorcycle shops).

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: