Re: Schilke Helleburg MP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Observer on November 06, 2003 at 23:34:29:

In Reply to: Schilke Helleburg MP posted by Jeff J. on November 06, 2003 at 16:02:17:

First of all, to answer your question: A logical step would be to try the Schilke Helleberg II (note the spelling) or the RS knock off which the Brasswind sells for about half the price of the real Schilke. Another possibility might be the Conn Helleberg (again, note the spelling). The Mirafone mouthpieces have undergone a numbering change and I'm not sure how to compare them, but I do think that the C4 is now the TU 23 and C9 is the TU33. The C4/TU23 has a fairly wide rim diameter and a fairly shallow cup. The TU 33 is a bigger mouthpiece.

Now for my rant. Tell me what is wrong with this picture: Bill Belle, Harvey Fillips, Arnold Jakobs, August Helleburg. Usually I fuss privately about spelling on this board, but this time in have to vent my spleen in public. I know I'm not perfect when it comes to spelling. In fact, there will probably be some spelling errors in this post. But I do think we need to be more careful when we reference the name of one of the most historically significant figures for the tuba and the mouthpiece type that bears his name. Helleburg is probably some quaint little hamlet in Germany but it is not the name of the first great tuba virtuoso. Everyone please look carefully at the name stamped on your mouthpieces and be careful of that last vowel.

Follow Ups: