Re: Re: Care of a new tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Swart on November 08, 2003 at 22:36:22:

In Reply to: Re: Care of a new tuba posted by Christian on November 08, 2003 at 11:02:07:

Amen to the hard case and big wheels! I went through the gig bag scene with my two previous tubas and never again. You soon learn why gig bags are called a repairman's best friend. Sorry I can't put a photo on, but here's what I did with my case and why. I have 10" wheels on my HB case (no, I don't have a HB, it's a St. Pete, but it fits the case like a glove) I had a welder friend make a couple of mounts that I could bolt through the case and were at the proper angle for tracking. I used wheels that have a 1/2" axle hole and so a 1/2" bolt works fine. I drilled the end of the bolt and used castle nuts and a cotter pin so they stay on and don't have to be really tight. Every case has a different shape, so you have to figure out how to make a mount that fits. Now why 10" wheels? Stairs and curbs mostly. It's slow going, but I can ease my case up and down stair steps without having to carry it. You do it one step at a time, holding it back when descending so it doesn't go bump, bump, bump. It's a bit awkward opening it, but that's a small price to pay for the mobility. Also, a strong second to other comments regarding cleaning, food, lube, etc. I have found Flitz polish to work quite well, but there are probably other good choices, too. And, yeah, it will get a ding or two over time. These are big horns and we sometimes move in tight places among people who aren't as careful as we would like them to be.

Follow Ups: