Re: More freshman tuba questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tony on November 11, 2003 at 07:30:50:

In Reply to: More freshman tuba questions posted by Debbie on November 10, 2003 at 13:26:04:

I will say a few things. Some things in sharp jeys will actually be easier on CC tuba. While everyone here is correct about it having to do with familiarity with the sharp keys, you can not deny that some things will just lay under the fingers easier. I have been playing CC tuba for over a decade, and I play in orchetras, and audition for orchestras. The Ride of the Valkyries and Fountains of Rome are easy on the fingers on CC tuba. I have worked them up on BBb and F tubas, and its simply tougher. Just want it to be said that some things will end up easier, although its no substitute for learning the sharp keys.

I also think that switching from CC to BBb on a daily basis is not really a big deal. If the kid is smart, and picks the switch up fast, I wouldn't worry about it. I would leave the new CC tuba at home until its close to concert time, then bring in the CC for a few rehearsals. Unless the band director can provide a secure and safe place to store the tuba during the day, I would not take it in to school on a regular basis. i would not trust other students when they had access to to it. See if the band director will let you keep the horn in his office.

The next issue...I would have him stop playing trombone altogether if he is serious about playing tuba, but I know I will get flamed for saying this. Its a high school jazz band...play tuba in it.

Follow Ups: