Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic mouthpiece options - preference?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by t. c. on November 13, 2003 at 09:39:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Plastic mouthpiece options - preference? posted by Leland on November 13, 2003 at 09:02:36:

I was suggesting that a Kelly is so cheap (and quite well-made) that - depending on whether you're a "bowl-cup" mouthpiece person (18) or a "funnel-cup" mouthpiece person (K-berg), you could pick up a Kelly and compare its "heat transfer" (whatever) properties to your existing metal mouthpiece.

The tuba itself (with all of its surface area) seems to me to be a much more efficient "radiator" than the metal back-end of a screw-rim mouthpiece, so my best guess is that a plastic screw-rim and a 100% plastic are going to be unnoticably different in this regard down to climatic situations below which you would not encounter.

Just as has been suggested, I've purposely dropped Kelly mouthpieces on stone and tile floors and not seen a mark.

As far as playing characteristics is concerned, since mouthpieces really have the most to do with "feel" as any part of the tuba, I believe that the "playing characteristics" are indeed effected by the "feel" of the plastic, even if absolutely identical in shape to one's metal rim.

Follow Ups: