Re: Re: Re: Re: Bells and Timbre

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on November 19, 2003 at 14:33:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Bells and Timbre posted by Rick F. on November 18, 2003 at 16:04:33:

No, not much difference in sound. My physics professer friend says that what produces the tone on an instrument is the shape of the inside of the tubing. Of course your buzz has an effect too. So if the inside of your tubing has gobs of solder or old tacos stuck to it...it will affect the sound quality. I currently have a screw bell horn (which is how I was able to put a different bell on it so easily) and have had fixed bell horns in the past. My current screw bell horn responds much more easily than just about all other horns I've played, both fixed and screw. I think it has more to do with the overall weight/mass of the instrument, than whether or not it has a screw bell on it.

The bell that had such magical effects on my very lightweight Schmid horn, caused a much-heavier-to-start-with Lewis horn, to sound worse. I think I wrote this before in a post...based on bell-swapping tests with several horns, I think there must be a range of ideal mass for a horn, and probably also for a tuba. But...the new bell is just a little heavier than the old bell, and it still was a whopping difference. I don't know if it is the metal it is made of, the taper, the fact that it is hand-hammered or what, but it is an amazing difference. They even look pretty much the same. The new bell is heavier gauge though. I had lead tape all over the old one, making it look like a watermelon, trying to dampen it a little. Still amazing contrast.
MA

Follow Ups: