Re: When did you buy yours?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Preece on November 19, 2003 at 14:44:45:

In Reply to: When did you buy yours? posted by Steve W on November 18, 2003 at 22:02:09:

I, like a lot of people, had to work for a few years before entering university in order to purchase a tuba. When I finally was able to make such a purchase (1997), I knew relitavely nothing about tubas, other than those affiliated with Salvation Army bands, where I play. I just knew that I needed one for school, and I didn't trust anyone with "used" goods, so it had to be brand new. Subsequently, my first tuba was a Yamaha CC 861. Luckily, this ended up working great until the end of my BMus degree. However, during the end of 3rd year, my teacher and I started discussing the possibility of a high horn. I really didn't think anything would happen for a long time, remembering my experiences of work etc. for my first horn. However, by mid-4th year, I was able to aquire a used Besson Eb 982 from a local Salvation Army church. Again I was skeptical because it was used, but it turns out that it was just an extra one in the band room collecting dust. They also gave me a great deal on an interest-free payment plan. This turned my opinions right around, and made me believe that, "hey, maybe some people out there reall DO want to help...!"

So, by the time my grad recital came around, I had 2 horns of my very own, a low horn and a high horn!

After I graduated, I started thinking about my playing options based on the equiptment I had. I want to expand the sound possiblilities from my 2 horns. So long stort short (ha ha ha...) I ended up selling my Yamaha CC privately and purchased a new 6/4 VMI CC 5198 from Dillon Music. This really helped me accomplish what I wanted.

I will only sell me Besson 982, if there is an opportunity for my to purchase a good 983 in its place.

I will never sell my VMI 5198 - it is abolutely awesome.

Follow Ups: