Re: On Loving Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by M.M. Carrasco on November 19, 2003 at 16:59:41:

In Reply to: On Loving Music posted by Rick Denney on November 19, 2003 at 14:04:20:

Hi Rick,

Interesting post. I've had similar experience except instead of a new appreciation of Brahms (which I still lack), rather in my case it was Sibelius, after performing Sym #2.

Working in the technology industry exposes one to some interesting folk. Well educated and often musical. I've sat at lunches to hear such statements as, "....Bach, he's too mechanical and cerebral...." or "Wagner, who cares about the fat lady with the Viking helmet?" I like to make a point to ask why people feel the way they do about stuff like this. Usually, they admit (privately) that it's what they were told in music appreciation or they dated a sophmore who was an oboeist, etc.. I can only think of one exception, when a guy once gave me some really good arguments about why he felt Mahler "sucks".

Llots of folks have preconceived notions. With the airwaves littered with so much mindless music, it's not hard for me to understand why so many people hear music all the time, but rarely listen.

Even in musician's circles you can find the same thing.... if you want some entertainment, go to an organists convention and say in a crowd, "French Romantic organ music is really wonderful", now step back and watch the fireworks! Heck, in one of the groups I play, the music committee hesitates to program music written after 1955! We'll really be pushing the envelope this spring when Hanson's 2nd Symphony will be performed......

Moises

Follow Ups: