Re: The Effie Suite

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Calkin on November 20, 2003 at 12:20:41:

In Reply to: The Effie Suite posted by Chris Barrett on November 20, 2003 at 00:23:52:

The Effie, IMO, is not too easy for college auditions. It can be a very challenging piece if you let it (that is, if you go beyond the ink and dig the music out of it, though some of the ink can be tough on its own). In terms of being serious/appropriate, your audition committee is likely to know it and will be able to judge you well based on how you play it, and it offers chances for you to demonstrate technical skill, lyricism, and musical interpretation.

If I were on an audition committee, I'd be thrilled to hear he Effie played (well).

That being said...

Get in touch with the tuba instructors at the schools you are considering and ask their opinions on this. When I auditioned for my Master's program I asked the professor here about my audition repertoire and whether it was appropriate. I don't think you'd be out of line in doing this.

It also depends on the school, and the type of program you plan to enter. I did my undergrad work at a small New England state college, and went for music education, so I played Air and Bourree and the Judas Maccabeus variations.

HTH,
-J

Follow Ups: