Re: Re: Re: Jazz/Piston | Classic Concert/Rotary ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 23, 2003 at 15:09:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Jazz/Piston | Classic Concert/Rotary ? posted by Curious on November 22, 2003 at 18:16:05:

The theory you espouse assumes that actuation distance is more important than actuation force, and I'm not at all sure that is the case from observing my own hands.

I, too, am able to play more technical passages on piston tubas, but I have big hands. I find that my fingers tend to rise up off the buttons or paddles when I play, so distance doesn't seem to be that big an issue.

The other thing is that rotary valves are usually solid brass and have a lot more weight. That extra weight has inertia, and requires more force to move it (and more damping to stop it without bouncing).

But I think that the player's hands have more effect on the result than anything. I've certainly heard enough superior performers on both types of valves to know that any technical limitation I might possess cannot be blamed on the valves. But that doesn't mean we can't have preferences based on the way they feel.

Rick "who prefers pistons but who has both and uses both without complaint" Denney

Follow Ups: