Re: Question about 3 vs 4 valve Compensators

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on November 25, 2003 at 15:00:03:

In Reply to: Question about 3 vs 4 valve Compensators posted by Statman on November 25, 2003 at 13:57:28:

The simple answer is: The three valve compensators, theoretically, do a better job of compensating, and so are better in tune throughout their range. There have been several threads about this, check out what Dr. Fred Young and others have to say. On the other hand, the four valve compensators give you a much extended low range. This is very, very helpful, especially with Eb compensators.

For the BBb horn, compensator or not, with three valves, you just can’t get the Eb through B natural down in the pedal range (I am ignoring the nefarious “false notes”), but four valves get you there. I see that range fairly often, in modern band music there are more and more composers putting notes down there. I usually use that range at least once per concert (Community Band type work, I’m not a pro either). I really like being able to play down there, because the Tuba is in the ensemble to help with the low end, not to fight it out with the cellos, euphoniums and trombones above the staff (well, 98% of the time, anyway). Musically, I would feel that I am just not holding up my end if I couldn’t play all those “8 va basso” parts that come around, and often require that range.

I don’t know if I would be comfortable with a 100 year old horn either, as my main instrument, but there is nothing inherently wrong with it. There are some 60 and 70 year old horns out there that I would love to play. Age doesn’t necessarily mean anything, quality and condition of the horn is important. More important is how well you are going to like playing it, and how you sound with it.

Take your time with your decision, it is expensive and will have a strong impact on your playing and musicianship.

Regards,
Rex

Follow Ups: