Re: Re: Question about 3 vs 4 valve Compensators

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Statman on November 25, 2003 at 17:00:10:

In Reply to: Re: Question about 3 vs 4 valve Compensators posted by Ken L on November 25, 2003 at 16:37:56:

Ok, so I'm using an alias, but I also spent time at Brasswind this month trying out tubas. I agree with everything you said about Roger Lewis; he is a true professional. The trumpet players in the quintet I am in have noticed a great improvement in my sound just based on the mouthpiece he sold me and the practice techniques he taught me. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent with him.

I tried out a 191, 189, 187 and a 186, as well as the VMI and some others I don't remember. I didn't buy a horn though; the inheritance money hasn't come in yet, but it will. I loved the 189, especially the angled rotaries, but it's probably too big for my ensembles/quintets. The 191 would really stretch me, but I would love the ride. Put angled rotaries on that puppy and it will be perfect--they'll call it the 289, Roger said. The difference between the 186 and 187 was most significant. Lots of great sound out of the 187, with the ergonomics and response of the 186.

I didn't try the compensating horn, but in retrospect I'm not sure it would have helped me understand what makes me curious about the e-bay horns since it is a 3+1. Oh well. All of them played way better than the Yamaha 201M I played in the concert this past weekend.

Stat-"looking for good sound to go along with my wife's perfect pitch"-man

Follow Ups: