Re: Been away for a while, need some advise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on November 28, 2003 at 11:53:07:

In Reply to: Been away for a while, need some advise posted by DavidRN on November 28, 2003 at 11:37:35:

I'm glad to see the Conn 5J mentioned. I have always fet that this horn has a great sound and superb intonation. The bore is a tad small, but that makes for pretty short action. These are fairly cheap and seem to hold up very well.

The King is a great horn also, if you get the chance to pick through a few of 'em. They seem to be fairly sensitive to manufacturing quality, so some are much better than others, but I believe the newer horns may be more refined leaving the line. The bore on this horn is a little small also, but it definitely doesn't inhibit the sound. These Kings get a nice even full sound.

Yeah, I know this is my own account of these horns, but I would definitely suugest for anyone looking for a good all around BBb to check out the old Conn 5J. Especially if you will be standing and/or moving around. They are fairly light and small, but still have a good size bell. They are also very manageable when transported in a wooden case.

You've already owned a VMI, so you have an advantage there. The Yamaha's aren't worth the asking price, and the 321 just doesn't seem to be a consistently good horn. I have heard very good things about the Jupiter's so they would be well worth looking into.

If I were spending my money, I would look for a good Conn or King, they seem to hold up the best and retain some value. Plus they seem to be pretty good players in general.

If you're attracted to those Yamaha's try out the Weril equivalents. They are a LOT cheaper and from all accounts seem to play just as well.

I don't know how much the Holton 330BB is, but it might alos be something you may be interested in...

Matt G

Follow Ups: