Re: HELP please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Been/going through.. on November 30, 2003 at 12:25:26:

In Reply to: HELP please posted by Whitney on November 29, 2003 at 17:17:50:

ya Im goin through this right now, cept Im a junior, and I have 2 sophomores.

The problem I face is that they cannnnnn play their music if they wanted to .. There not great but they know the fingerings and can make the sounds needed. They just dont' try.

All marching season I tried different things, being nice, pushing them, hinting at them, and even being acomplete jerk about it.

They didn't memorize their music, and one day I basically told them we have the bass line, no1 else has it, if its not played then were going to get counted off. By you not learning it you are putting me in a position that if I screw up at all the entire band wil be penalized cause of me, and frankly that ticks me off!..

that didnt' work either..

I then gave up, and haven't even bothered to help them, I dont' ignore if asked a question. I simply dont' take my time to help them with something. I use it toward my playing and learning..

This is from lots of build up over time, all last year I offered to help one of them with all region, he promised to be there never showed, for a month. i am not trying to help the other one and he is showing for practices I offer, when he says he can be there. So i help him best I can and I'm hoping if he makes region this will make him takem ore pride in his music and become the player he could be..

This is just my experience, the best scenario I've found is to leave them alone. It takes a LOT of stress off you, and puts in a bettter mood since your constantly getting mad over there lack of caring. If he wants to learn tho, then by all means help. But dont' waste your time on some1 who doesn't want to be there.

Follow Ups: