Re: New York State Colleges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Lamb on October 03, 1999 at 19:01:33:

In Reply to: New York State Colleges posted by Bill on October 03, 1999 at 10:07:04:

I'm currently a senior tubist at Eastman, and, in my opinion, I must say that the overall program here is incredible. There are tons of opportunities here, both in education and in performance. Don Harry, tuba professor, is an amazing educator and performer, and he's a great all around person. I don't think the fact that he's a part time professor has taken away from my experience and education with him. Any lessons that I have missed have always been made up. (The fact that he is part-time is due to a very small and limited number of tuba students and his job with the Buffalo Philharmonic.)

That being said, the rest of the programs at Eastman are just as great. I'm currently involved with the Arts Leadership Program, a program designed to further educate music students about alternative careers in music. Through the school, I have an internship with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra in Artistic Administration, and I'm taking extra classes dealing with music law, artistic programming for orchestras, and the relationship between orchestras and their communities.

I unfortunately know nothing of the music programs for the other schools listed, but I agree with what people on the BBS say all the time: Do what works best for you. My suggestion for your son is to go visit all of the schools he's interested in, visit the teachers, ask questions, etc. He should get to know the schools as best as he can and then make a decision. If you or anyone else has any questions about Eastman, please feel free to contact me.

Follow Ups: