Re: Pistons v. Rotary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kirk on October 07, 1999 at 11:35:02:

In Reply to: Pistons v. Rotary posted by Jeff Baker on October 05, 1999 at 14:49:27:

Can't say I can give you all the technical whys and that but here are my thoughts on the matter. But first let me preface this by saying I am not a professional tuba player nor a graduate student or anything else other than someone who loves the tuba and wanted to play it. So with that disclaimer....

When I was looking to buy my tuba I went to Custom Music and tried everything(well almost) that they had. Valve, piston, CC, BBb,F, etc. The only thing I was concerned with was which horn gave me the sound I wanted to hear as easily and comfortably as possible. For me that horn was a B&S PT3s. It is a 5 rotary valve CC horn. For ME that was the best horn. Not that there was anything wrong with the Nirchals(sp), Hirshbrunners(sp),or Yamahas, etc. For me when I heard a tuba I liked in my head it was THIS horn. And it wasn't just the PT3s, but THIS specific PT3s. I tried probably 6 PT3s's and only this one sounded and played like I wanted it to.

I think when we are spending as much as we do on new tubas we owe it to ourselves to buy what is best for us regardless of what the Big Names, educated, etc. say.

So try lots and get what YOU like.

Just MY .02 worth.....

Follow Ups: