Re: Willson euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on October 09, 1999 at 23:41:42:

In Reply to: Willson euphoniums posted by D. Seebaugh on October 09, 1999 at 14:03:41:

You're really opening a can of worms here! The opinions should be rolling out in the morning. Besson! NO HIRSBRUNNER! No No No! Yamaha! WILLSON!!! GO BUNDY!!!!!!!

I simply will suggest this -

Try out all the horns you can. Take your time. Don't be in a hurry to get one because, depending on what store you purchase it from, you may not be able to return it. Try out all the horns, have other people listen to you in large-ish rooms and get thier opinion of your sound. Decide what your first and second choices are. Now, if the first choice is priced right, go for it. If your first choice is priced high and your second choice is priced right, well then you have a decision to make. I picked out two horns that I really liked and my decision was easy - The more expensive horn was about $1400.00 more expensive than the cheaper one. It did not play $1400.00 better than the cheaper one. That little difference most likely isn't going to lose an audition for you.

VERY IMPORTANT - take advantage of the manufacturers warranty. Play the horn for a few months, and if there are ANY problems in the craftsmanship, send it in for repair. When you do, tell them to improve your valves and slides. You'll be glad you did.

.05 - oops.

Follow Ups: