Re: Getting a new bell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 12, 1999 at 11:40:11:

In Reply to: Getting a new bell posted by Christopher on October 12, 1999 at 11:09:39:

What an exciting project! Without knowing the situation with the specific bell you're getting, my first reaction would be to fly to Germany and have Meinl do the work. Actually, it surprised me a little to see that one of your concerns wasn't "having the work done right". No offense to Dillon's because I've seen their high quality work, but if I were modifying a Rudy Meinl tuba I'd want the manufacturer to play a major role in the work. Having the guys who designed the horn help you make decisions in the process might yield valuable insights that would have been otherwise unavailable. They may be able to offer you options you hadn't considered. At the very least, they might be in a better position to make any modifications look as "factory original" as possible. Or course, this option requires a substantial case to fly the tuba in, like an Anvil or something else along those lines. Obviously, cost is going to be high but it might be worth it if you are still considering options in your project.

If all your decisions have already been made and all you need is a part, I would suggest you bribe/blackmail your brother into picking up the bell and shipping it to you. It shouldn't be so hard to pack it securely and ship it to you rather quickly and that would be the cheapest route. I know Dillon's could attach the bell here as well or better than anybody. Good luck!

Follow Ups: