Switching from F to F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan on October 12, 1999 at 15:39:41:

Several months back I purchsed the Yamaha 3/4 (little) F tuba. I purchased it because (after trial) (1) I knew it would meet my needs, (2) it was within my budget, and (3) I was at the point where I needed an instrument with a little more soloistic flexibility than my big CC. I've spent the spring and summer getting used to it, and I enjoy playing it. But- last weekend I stumbled across an instrument which really caught my attention. I like the sound better, it seems to have fewer intonation quirks (we'll see when I sit it against a tuner), and fells better in my hands. I believe If I sell the Yamaha, I can get the other instrument.

However, after speaking with my instructor, he discoraged me from bailing out on the yamaha so soon. He felt that I would be wiser to spend several years and really "learn the quirks" of the horn before choosing. I really see his point, because I don't want to get into the expensive habit of switching equipment every few months for "better and brighter." However, Even after half a year on the yamaha, It doesn't feel comfortable, doesn't behave consistently (I'm not consistent on it yet) and doesn't generate the noises I'm going for. I'm sure I'm not the only one to go through this, so I was looking for some advice. Should I stick it out in the hope of rising to meet the challenge? I have an exceptional Yamaha, so I'm not really suffering. Or should I go for what feels right under the chops and fingers NOW and possibly end up shorting myself in some way?

Thanks in advance;

Dan

Follow Ups: