Re: Why do you use Miraphone?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on October 14, 1999 at 22:58:31:

In Reply to: Why do you use Miraphone? posted by Tsai on October 14, 1999 at 18:20:36:

Well, in my case, I found a Miraphone for sale, dirt cheap.

Don't get me wrong. I grew up playing first Kings, and then Miraphones. I got used to the blow, and it is a different blow. And, I do like the sound of them. My teacher uses Miraphone, and I had always thought that if I did wind up buying one, it might be a stepping stone on to something else.
However, when I found the Miraphone I play now, serial #2234, I fell in love with the sound and the blow. It is OLD! But also, since it is old. The lacquer has been worn off, and it is made of really thick metal. These conditions make the sound nice and dark. So, I can play in an orchestra and feel pretty good. The intonation is very good. As a matter of fact, it is very easy to play. It isn't a 186/188. I think that this was back when Miraphone only made one horn. Also, it has a different leadpipe than what it came with originally.
Bought it for $800. The guy didn't know what he had. Someday I will overhaul it. But right now, it is my main axe. I used to think that I would go ahead and "graduate" up to a "better" horn. However, for reasons too hard to explain, I have decided to keep this horn for good, and save up to buy another one (as long as that process takes!)
It needs plenty of work, but I am so pleased with the sound, I will always have this horn.

cdo

Follow Ups: