Embouchure Dystonia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by reb stivender on October 01, 2000 at 22:09:51:

Recently, I was diagnosed with having embouchure dystonia - a task-specific tremor that affects my playing tuba. It seems to originate primarily from my chin area. Originally, it gave me some minor problems in my mid-range with holding pitch steady. But, over the last 6 months, it has been getting worse and now affects my ability to make attacks and lip slurs resulting in overall shaky playing over a wider range. I corresponded with a doctor (neurologist) to whom I was referred by embouchure.com. He reviewed a video of my playing and made my diagnosis. He indicated that he had seen a number of musicians with this condition, and unless I was a professional, he recommended against treatment (the medical treatment success rate is low.) He told me to try to make playing “adjustments” to get around the tremor. I double on bass-bone from time to time and it doesn’t seem to effect my playing on that smaller mouthpiece. I’ve tried a number of mouthpieces of various sizes and have played a lot embouchure builders with very limited improvement.

I’m getting to the end of my tuba-playing rope as things keep getting worse. Does anybody out there have any experience with this condition? Any ideas as to ways to make some “adjustments” would be greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups: