Re: double pedal C

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 05, 2000 at 14:20:45:

In Reply to: double pedal C posted by Marty Neilan on October 05, 2000 at 08:58:34:

I once asked Roger Bobo, who the piece was written for, about this during a masterclass he did. I was asked to play the Encounters II for the class and get Roger's reactions (talk about pressure!). Anyhow, he laughed about the double pedal C and described the technique already mentioned where you tongue between the lips at the frequency rate of the actual note (about 16 cycles per second). Even though you are faking the note, this is not easy. But if you use this technique and keep all the valves open, the horn will actually resonate the correct frequency. It is actually a little bizarre. Obviously, the trick is doing that and then playing the next pedal C# and making the two note sound slurred, which they are. I always felt that particular lick was the most unforgiving thing ever written for tuba, since it included one almost unplayable note and a slur so long that you really had to have a huge vital capacity even to come close (I never did, I always ended up breaking that slur for a breath).

I never tried to play this piece on Eb or F (sorry Marty) because it is so obviously written for CC tuba. Actually, it was/is one of my favorite tuba solos and I always used it rather than the Vaughan-Williams for auditions. I used it here and the committee went wild over it. The Assistant Conductor liked the piece so much that when I played the semi-final round, he asked me to play some of it for the Music Director (who wasn't at the prelim rounds) even though no solo was required in the semis.

Have fun with the piece Marty and make LOTS of music. It is a very expressive piece!

Follow Ups: