Re: Re: Re: Holton,York cut jobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe argumentative S. on October 13, 2000 at 19:33:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Holton,York cut jobs posted by A Guy in CA on October 13, 2000 at 01:10:40:

I have never been able to relate to that verbal concept "sounds like a BBb".

For instance, does "sounds like a BBb" mean a Besson 3/4, or a Martin 7/4 ?

Another "for instance": The Miraphone 186 CC vs. BBb are virtually the same branches, bell and mouthpipe, except shorter. The only reason that no one ever cuts a MiraBBb to CC is because MiraCC's are cheap and plentiful, anyway. -- Some would argue that a MiraBBb sounds totally different from a MiraCC and others would argue that they sound quite similar.

I think this "sounds like a BBb" and "sounds like a CC" business is non-communication, because if it actually DOES mean something to someone, if absolutely means something DIFFERENT to someone else.

In summary, I would argue that neither "BBb" nor "CC" are effective adjectives when used to describe the sound of any given tuba (nor "F" nor "EEb", for that matter).

If any truly believes the "sounds like a ----" I would suggest going to Dallas or Southbend and having four different guys blow on 25 different tubas. With your back turned, mark down 1 - 25 the key each in which each different tuba is built...
...Having four different guys would "confuse the issue", you say? I answer, "Why would different players on the different tubas confuse the issue if each individual tuba 'sounds like a [BBb, CC, EEb, F, whatever]."

Follow Ups: