Re: Re: Conn 52J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete Krill on October 16, 2000 at 14:09:06:

In Reply to: Re: Conn 52J posted by Bryan on October 16, 2000 at 10:48:09:

Very good question! I do very little large symphony orchestra playing presently, but when I did, some years ago, I used a 4/4 CC-tuba or even a 3/4 CC tuba for certain pieces. Obviously, the nature of symphonic tuba playing has changed to a certain extent in the modern era (I do go to major symphony orchestra concerts, and notice that a bigger tuba seems to be required to balance the modern brass section).
Getting back to the type of playing I do, it falls mainly into four categories, brass quintet (and brass ensemble, choir and organ), concert bands (both large and small), small-medium sized orchestra playing (50 to 70 members), and some solo work with organ or concert band. The Meinl Weston 2000 which is the same size as MW 2155, I use in my large concert band, and with brass ensembles and orchestras in larger churches and auditoriums. Also, I have used it for solos. The MW 2145 I use in smaller orchestras and concert bands, and brass quintet concerts in smaller venues. The Conn 52J is new, but I intend to use it for higher orchestral pieces, and as a spare all-around horn in my vacation home.
I have to admit that I have never been comfortable on the F-tuba. In fact, I am selling one to help pay for the Conn 52J. However, I would recommend that any younger tubist acquire and learn to play it, to be able to negotiate the tuba solo repertoire, and the demands of contemporary orchestral literature.

Follow Ups: