Re: Boem&Meinl BBb Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art on October 17, 2000 at 23:10:17:

In Reply to: Boem&Meinl BBb Tuba posted by Russ on October 17, 2000 at 19:35:15:

I have been using one as my main concert instrument for about 15 years. It's a great horn after you get to know it. The model was originally designed and marketed by Fred Marzan, and then was sold in Germany as "Melton" and in the USA as "Bohm & Meinl". High and low G tend to be sharp if played 1&2, but are fine if you use the 3rd valve. High Ab (top line of the staff) requires an especially precise attack. I make it a habit to start every practice session by hitting that note, and that helps. I usually keep my left hand on top, so I can pull the 2nd valve slide with my fingers or the 4th with my thumb whenever needed. Occasionally a first-valve pull is useful, and that is also easy to reach. I have never found any need for pulling the 3rd slide, but it's right there too, as is the main slide. The nylon valve guides do wear out, and I wish I could find an inexpensive supply. I did get some from Willson that fit perfectly. Walter Nirschl has not been answering my e-mail about this subject. I found some stainless steel bolts (3 mm standard metric thread) and filed them to make valve guides which work well, but are a bit noisier. My horn came with two leadpipes, one of them imperceptably bigger than the other, and it's a good thing because the first one corroded thru from the inside after only about 10 years. I think the only serious flaw is the lack of reinforcement on the bottom bow. It dents very easily. I wish someone would make that part out of carbon fiber. The guy in the Dixie Power Trio has one of these horns, with a carbon fiber bell (aftermarket) Take good care of that horn!

Follow Ups: