Re: Re: Re: How close is close enough?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on October 18, 2000 at 20:24:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: How close is close enough? posted by John Swensen on October 18, 2000 at 14:15:54:

Occasionally, I have seen big blobs of solder (probably/maybe detrimental?) on these internal gaps on instruments in all price ranges. Most often thought, solder flows nicely to bridge gaps between internally hidden ends which don't touch, thus making the gaps themselves fairly non-existant.

Obviously ugly blobs of solder are undesirable aesthetically, but since I have removed HORRIBLE blobs from inside WONDERFUL instruments (with no noted improvement in playability sometimes), its hard to speak with any authority about this, much less about the exact fit and alignment of the parts PRIOR to soldering (which is the gest of your inquiry.

I think we need to face up to the fact that the larger an instrument is, the more difficult it is to make a small detail in its design make a difference, although it seems quite obvious that cummulative blatant flaws certainly are easily noticable.

You are correct, I really wasn't completely following you the first time. Thanks for bringing clarity down to my "8th grade newspaper customer" level. :-)

Getting back to the "practical" side of this, I always know for certain when there is no chance that I made an interior mess with solder, and I also always know when (due to problems, etc.) I might have INDEED made an interior mess with solder.

Summary: Don't "sweat" (pun intended) the miniscule gaps between ends of tubing. .005" could be disasterous on an oboe, but might become a princess-and-the-pea thing with a tuba.

Follow Ups: