Re: Decisions, decisions,

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubalew on October 19, 2000 at 13:46:38:

In Reply to: Decisions, decisions, posted by Troubled on October 19, 2000 at 12:49:23:

If you can get the Willson for the same price as the Miraphone, either the Willson is very inexpensive or the Miraphone is over priced. In the US the prices I have seen have the Willson at about twice the price of the Miraphone. I have played both, and the better choice really depends on the sound you want, and whether you want piston or rotary valves.

I found the Willson to be one of the best BBb tubas I have ever played for any price. It has a very bright, but full sound. I have only played the Miraphone in regular brass, but even then it had a more mellow sound to it. In gold brass the sound will be even smoother. The Willson is a very large horn and could be hard to handle unless you are large. The 191 is the compact model Miraphone, so should be easier to handle, but it has a very large bore and a big sound.

The S 186 or Pro 186 would both be good alternatives which would work in the types of groups you mentioned. They are in between the Willson and the 191 in size, but with a smaller bore and bell. In my opinion they would be better horns for the small ensemble playing. That said, if I had the money I would have a Willson.

Follow Ups: